Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

QT 5/30/2023 James 5:13, Take it to God, not others

James 5:13–18 (ESV) — Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.

 

NOTE: I pass by this verse often, or at least the second half. The previous passage discussed grumbling and the use of our tongue. In this verse, James takes two life circumstances and shows the corrective action against grumbling, complaining, and boasting. When we suffer, we must go to God. When we are cheerful, we must sing praise to God. Both are directed at God, not others. Your particular situation may cause another to envy. Your struggles may cause another to pick up your angst if you are grumbling. Complaining begets complaining -- it is a root of bitterness that spreads. But sometimes cheerfulness or good fortune can do the same, by causing envy. Give the glory to God and not on "good fortune."  At least in that case the person is forced to deal with God.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I go to God regardless of the circumstances, suffering or joy?

 

PRAYER: Father, I need go to you regardless of the circumstances. You should always be my first resort.

No comments:

Post a Comment