Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 24, 2023

QT 5/24/2023 James 4:11-12, The danger of slander to our witness

James 4:11–12 (ESV) —

11 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. 12 There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

 

NOTE: In chapter one, James challengers the brothers to be doers of the law and not hearers. Here he lays out the other issue of people who are not doers, they become judges. And only God is the lawgiver and judge. Slander is a form of judgment. Speaking behind a person's back in a negative way is a form of slander. When we slander, we act as judges, and not doers of the law.

 

My focus needs to be on doing the law and not judging those who, in my eyes, fail to do the law (or the right thing). I can be pretty quick to judge leadership styles, but that does my leadership no good if I am attacking others. It effectively reduces my ability to lead, because slander is not a good look. It will ruin my witness.

 

PONDER:

  1. Who have I slandered recently?
  2. Who have I spoken of negatively behind their back?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to see when I speak evil against another. Reveal my sin. I want to be a doer of the law, not just a hearer, and not a judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment