Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

QT 5/9/2023 James 1:9-12, The importance of humility

Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. But the rich should take pride in their humiliation—since they will pass away like a wild flower. For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business. Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
James 1:9‭-‬12 NIV

https://bible.com/bible/111/jas.1.9-12.NIV
 
NOTE: The description of poor and rich seems to center on humility. James correlates actual wealth or lack of wealth to humility. And there certainly is that connection. I see it all the time. But I’ve also seen humble men who are wealthy, they do not trust in their wealth, nor do they treat others with disdain, nor do they expect any special treatment. In ninety percent of cases, maybe more, there is direct correlation with lack of humility to wealth. But I also see a disdain in the poor toward the wealthy which is not proper either. We are all required to “submit to one another” and consider the other person as more important than self. We all are required to clothe ourselves with humility toward one another. The danger is in allowing wealth to corrupt our souls. And I have found that the best defense against that is to give it away. A giving spirit (and one that keeps it quiet) does more than anything to change the heart. I believe that what James is saying is true but it is more of a proverb than a truth. There is great danger in wealth, and humility becomes even more important if God gives wealth.
 
PONDER:  
    1) What am I doing to exercise humility in my life? I need to think through how I can make this more real to me. In my retirement, I will write a goal to serve the poor on a regular basis (physically).
 
PRAYER: Father, thank you for this verse and the idea it gives me. Help me to be a humble man whatever you give. I pray that I would never think of myself as greater or more important than any other person.

No comments:

Post a Comment