Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

QT 5/2/2023 2 Sam 23:18-38, Be wary of evil

2 Samuel 23:18–24,38 (ESV) —

18 Now Abishai, the brother of Joab, the son of Zeruiah, was chief of the thirty. And he wielded his spear against three hundred men and killed them and won a name beside the three. 19 He was the most renowned of the thirty and became their commander, but he did not attain to the three.

20 And Benaiah the son of Jehoiada was a valiant man of Kabzeel, a doer of great deeds. He struck down two ariels of Moab. He also went down and struck down a lion in a pit on a day when snow had fallen. 21 And he struck down an Egyptian, a handsome man. The Egyptian had a spear in his hand, but Benaiah went down to him with a staff and snatched the spear out of the Egyptian’s hand and killed him with his own spear. 22 These things did Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, and won a name beside the three mighty men. 23 He was renowned among the thirty, but he did not attain to the three. And David set him over his bodyguard.

24 Asahel the brother of Joab was one of the thirty; Elhanan the son of Dodo of Bethlehem, … 38 Ira the Ithrite, Gareb the Ithrite, 39 Uriah the Hittite: thirty-seven in all.

 

NOTE: Unlike the previous three, who are just named the "three," this list does contain a number of names that are known (notoriety) and retold in the story of David. Of interest is that while Joab's brothers, Abishai and Asahel, are mentioned as part of the "thirty," Joab is not. And yet Joab was the commander of the Armies of Israel. Joab was the most famous, but he never did a deed that put him in the list. The stories that are given here and in the previous paragraphs sound as if being among the thirty was the equivalent of the "Medal of Honor" or the "Army Cross." Apparently Joab never did anything on that scale, although he was certainly brave. Joab's struggle was not loyalty to David, but it was loyalty to himself -- which is called selfishness. He did whatever he had to do to maintain his position and power, often underhandedly.

 

The last name on the list is the saddest name of all. In David's sin and with Joab's complicity, one of the thirty, Uriah, was murdered so that David could cover up his sin. And maybe that is another reason Joab is not among the thirty. Joab did not discern right and wrong. David could, unless he was so caught in sin and emotion that he forgot righteousness. It almost happened against Abigail's husband, and it did occur with Uriah, a loyal friend to David.

 

What is the lesson here? The measurement of our life is seldom a single event, although a single event can define you. The measurement of life is the sum of the events. The negative events always outweigh the positive. One sin can destroy a lifetime of good. There is forgiveness and hope as in David's case, but that is not always the case. It means that as men we must be extra vigilant that we are wary of all the schemes of the evil one (Eph 6:11). As God said to Cain,

 

Genesis 4:7c (ESV) —  … sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is contrary to you, but you must rule over it.”

 

PONDER:

  1. What are the schemes that the enemy is even now planning against me? Do I see them? Do I see the opportunity? Am I too near a fence? Am I blinded to my own sin? Am I about to be burned?

 

PRAYER: Father, I know the enemy is at the gates, but I don't see what he might be planning. As David prayed, so do I …

Psalm 139:23–24 (ESV) —

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!

Try me and know my thoughts!

24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,

and lead me in the way everlasting!

Lord, by myself, I will fail. Protect me from the evil one as Jesus taught us to pray.

Matthew 6:13 (ESV) —

13 And lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from evil.

I desire to be a mighty man of God. Protect me. Lead me. Have mercy on me. I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment