Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, May 29, 2023

QT 5/29/2023 James 5:7-9, Let's make sure we are in the right fight

James 5:7–9 (ESV) —

7 Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient about it, until it receives the early and the late rains. 8 You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. 9 Do not grumble against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door.

 

NOTE: We see evil all around us and we want to do something. We want to rise up or revolt or change laws or … whatever is in our minds. But James tells us (under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit) to be patient. What does that mean? The clue is given in the phrase "until the coming of the Lord." Something is going to happen when the Lord returns that we need to wait upon. What is that something? Over and over again, the day of the Lord references God's coming judgment against the world. The world's sin is so obvious and so clear today, but the message remains the same -- wait.

 

What does it mean to be patient until the Lord’s coming? It means to do what God also is doing: enduring human evil for a season. James’s authoritative counsel is not revolution or a taking of justice into one’s own hand. This judgment is not within their rights but God’s, who will judge oppression in his time. After all, even the courts of the present time are all too influenced by the superior resources of the rich. The exhortation is something like: “Let the Lord come against your oppressors in his time, but presently, wait just as he is waiting.” The Lord’s coming will be as judge of humanity. When Christ comes, he will reveal the opposition of God against the rich who have been unmerciful. Until then he waits, and believers also should wait.

(Richardson, K. A. (1997). James (Vol. 36, pp. 218–219). Broadman & Holman Publishers.)

 

But waiting does not mean being lazy. We have our orders and instructions. We are to live godly and holy lives as an example to those around us. We are to share the gospel to the uttermost parts of the earth (wherever it is not heard). And we are to make disciples. We need to get serious about the job of making disciples in these last days.

 

PONDER:

  1. Where am I working -- in the seen or the unseen world?
  2. Am I trying to change politics in order to keep my comfortable life or am I trying to see people change by new spiritual hearts?
  3. What is more important to me, my comfortableness or my neighbor's salvation?

 

PRAYER: Father, in these last days, may my focus be on making disciples and witnessing my faith. The world may go from bad to much, much worse. Or there may be a revival. It doesn't matter, I have my orders, help me to follow through on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment