Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, May 11, 2023

QT 5/11/2023 James 1:16-18, Our salvation is the greatest gift of all

James 1:16–18 (ESV) —

16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

 

NOTE: When we are in the midst of trials, sufferings, and persecutions, it is normal to believe that God has forgotten me. It is normal to believe that God is not answering my prayers or he can't or he won't. Changes to my situation are not happenstance or luck, God is aware of all things, and he intervenes or allows according to his larger picture of our life and his will. Our reward is great. The greatest gift of all is not happiness but our salvation. It is not getting out of situation, but knowing God. We are "a kind of" firstfruits. Jesus' resurrection was the first fruit. The next reaping will be at the rapture when the dead in Christ and those of us who are alive in Christ will be caught up together with Jesus in the air in our new bodies. We don't have our new bodies yet, so we are not really "firstfruits," be we are "a kind of" because that is the promise of our salvation, and that is the most perfect gift we can ever receive. We have already received it, we are only waiting for it to be revealed.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is my joy or hope? Is it for life to be happy or do I realize that my salvation is the greatest joy and hope that anyone in the world can ever receive.

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for these days. Help me to forget the circumstances or the happenstances of the day that seem evil or frustrating. You are aware. And I already have an immeasurable reward, my salvation. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment