Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

QT 3/13/2024 Ps 50:7-11, Learning to really give

Psalm 50:7–11 (ESV) —

7 “Hear, O my people, and I will speak;

O Israel, I will testify against you.

I am God, your God.

8 Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you;

your burnt offerings are continually before me.

9 I will not accept a bull from your house

or goats from your folds.

10 For every beast of the forest is mine,

the cattle on a thousand hills.

11 I know all the birds of the hills,

and all that moves in the field is mine.

 

NOTE: When we give out of our abundance, we are not really giving, because our 'sacrifices' aren't really sacrifices. A true offering to God costs something, not because he needs our works or our pain or any other ugly argument, but because true love sacrifices for the another. Jesus gave his life as a sacrifice for our sin because he loved us. As scripture says, no greater love has a man than this, to sacrifice his life for another. Giving money is good, but if giving a tithe is easy (it really doesn't affect our budget), what gift is that? Giving time is an even greater gift, because it is our most valuable commodity.

 

Yesterday, I had a chance to volunteer at a kitchen for the homeless. I had to wake up a 5am to get in. I had to drive through rush hour traffic to get downtown. And then I serve three hours preparing and serving food. And then I had to drive another half hour home. What I noticed was that my time is very precious to me. The actual volunteering was easier than the steps to get there. But that sacrifice is just as important as the serving of the food.

 

PONDER:

  1. Where are areas that I need to start giving more of my time?
  2. What are the true sacrifices of my life?

 

PRAYER: Father, thanks for the opportunity to serve. It seems like such a little thing compared to all that you do. I feel like I am giving two pennies. But, I enjoyed serving others. As I begin this habit, give me ideas how to share my faith to those around me. I want to use all things as a witness for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment