Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, March 4, 2024

QT 3/4/2024 Ps 34:8-13, What does a deep relationship with God taste like?

Psalm 34:8–14 (ESV) —

8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!

Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!

9 Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints,

for those who fear him have no lack!

10 The young lions suffer want and hunger;

but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.

11 Come, O children, listen to me;

I will teach you the fear of the Lord.

12 What man is there who desires life

and loves many days, that he may see good?

13 Keep your tongue from evil

and your lips from speaking deceit.

14 Turn away from evil and do good;

seek peace and pursue it.

 

NOTE: It is hard to explain to another what a relationship with God feels like. Is it an absence of struggles? No. Is it an abundance of material blessings? No. Is it when everything goes right and there is no conflict? No. All those things are part and parcel of the rebellion -- the fall of man that occurred in the garden when Adam and Eve chose to be their own gods and decide what is right and wrong for them. What does it mean to taste and see? In some sense the wording tells you that it cannot be explained, you have to taste for yourself, only then can you see the truth. Looking from the outside in, is a poor view. But if it was possible, how would I describe it? There is a peace, not devoid of suffering or struggle, but one that calms the heart. There is a joy that gladdens the soul (somewhere deep, deep inside me). There is a certain hope in the future that someday all things will be made right. There is a new found love between my judge and my savior. I am loved completely and independently of anything I have ever done. I guess that’s it: peace, joy, certain hope, and unmerited love.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have we taken God at his word and actually tasted him?
  2. Where do I start to taste God? Pour yourself into his word each and every day.

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for what you are doing in me and all around me. Thank you for the spiritual changes you are bringing about. I am unworthy

No comments:

Post a Comment