Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

QT 3/5/2024 Ps 36:7-12, Transformation to maturity

Psalm 36:7–12 (ESV) —

7 How precious is your steadfast love, O God!

The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.

8 They feast on the abundance of your house,

and you give them drink from the river of your delights.

9 For with you is the fountain of life;

in your light do we see light.

10 Oh, continue your steadfast love to those who know you,

and your righteousness to the upright of heart!

11 Let not the foot of arrogance come upon me,

nor the hand of the wicked drive me away.

12 There the evildoers lie fallen;

they are thrust down, unable to rise.

 

NOTE: I have been reading Emotionally Healthy Discipleship. At first I was confused as to what the author was discussing. The clue should have been the words "emotionally healthy," since it appears he is discussing what happens when discipleship does not involve transformation. Outside of the church, the process is maturity, but it is process that gets short-circuited for many individuals. The advantage for the believer is that it does not have to be short-circuited, the word of God in the power of the Holy Spirit can transform a person. But, it doesn't always happen in the church, and the question is why? As I read verse 11 above, part of the answer is there. We succumb (or never grow out of it) to arrogance and wickedness. That is the problem, but what is the answer? The author suggests it is a religion that is a mile wide, and an inch (or half-inch) deep. But how does that happen? I think it happens when faith becomes religion and not a relationship, and knowing God does not involve key actions: daily listening to God speak directly to me; regularly talking to God; being transparent with other believers of my struggles and faults; being held accountable for change; and sharing my faith through word and action. Transformation causes me to love, to really love others, and not myself or my demands.

 

PONDER:

  1. Where am I still immature emotionally?
  2. How can I grow in that area and be transformed?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the changes. The only sad thing is that many changes have taken almost 47 years. And I'm still working on others. And finally, there are all the ones I don't know about. Search me, know my heart. Show me my hidden faults. Help me to grow and transform into a loving man who deeply impacts those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment