Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, March 22, 2024

QT 3/22/2024 Ps 66:8-12, Places of abundance -- how do I respond?

Psalm 66:8–12 (ESV) —

8 Bless our God, O peoples;

let the sound of his praise be heard,

9 who has kept our soul among the living

and has not let our feet slip.

10 For you, O God, have tested us;

you have tried us as silver is tried.

11 You brought us into the net;

you laid a crushing burden on our backs;

12 you let men ride over our heads;

we went through fire and through water;

yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance.

 

NOTE: Over the years, I have developed a principle of life. I'm sure it is not unique to me, and I have probably heard others say it many times, but it is meaningful to me because I have seen it play out over and over again. The principle is this: when times are good, people forget God; and when times are bad, people turn to God. It is a truism of human beings. It destroys one of the Atheist's argument against God, that if God existed there would not be all the pain and suffering in the world. My response to that is: so you mean if life was perfect, everyone would believe in God and serve him? The bible teaches by historical example and didactic teaching quite the opposite. I do think an important lesson to learn during times of suffering is NOT to forget God next time, that is when times are good.

 

I feel I am in a place of abundance. I have lived in the valley of despair. I know now how grateful I need to be for every blessing of life. None of it is my doing. If it was, it would soon fail, like most of my creations. I am so thankful for the peace I experience in a deep relationship with my creator. I don't ever want to go back.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I pause and thank God for life?
  2. Do I take life for granted?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for these days and the joys that I am experiencing. A new baby granddaughter has been especially meaningful these days. I never thought my son, with all of his birth defects, would have the joy of a baby. You are so kind and so gracious. Truly, we are in a place of abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment