Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, May 10, 2024

QT 5/10/2024 1 Tim 6:1-2, Being a light at work

1 Timothy 6:1–2 (ESV) — 1 Let all who are under a yoke as bondservants regard their own masters as worthy of all honor, so that the name of God and the teaching may not be reviled. 2 Those who have believing masters must not be disrespectful on the ground that they are brothers; rather they must serve all the better since those who benefit by their good service are believers and beloved.

Teach and urge these things.

 

NOTE: Barclay estimates there were 60,000,000 slaves in the Roman Empire at the time of this letter. The NT neither approves or condones the use of slaves, although the Christian teaching (most notably in Gal 3:28 and Eph 6:29), certainly lifted them up and improved their lives. In the Jewish system, slaves were essentially a seven-year contract for a certain sum, but it only applied to Israelites serving another Israelite. It is the gospel and the belief that all men are created equal in the image of God that ultimately destroys slavery. Sadly, in many parts of Africa, the practice of slavery continues.

 

How does it apply today? Our system is no longer based on slavery contracts. But we do have employers and employees where much of the relationship remains. A boss tells us what to do and we must obey. We have the option of quitting, but depending on the employment conditions on the outside, our freedom from a bad boss is not so easily exercised. And really Paul's admonition here has nothing to do with job opportunities but rather witnessing opportunities. We are to honor our bosses so that they have no reason to slander our faith. And if your boss is also a believer, you should not try and take advantage of the relationship but work just as hard, since you are benefitting a brother in Christ.

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I treat my boss? Or if am a boss, how do I treat my employees?
  2. Would others know I am a Christian by my attitude at work? Am I any different from any other employee or boss?

 

PRAYER: Father, I thank you that I learned this lesson many years ago and that the workplace became a place of ministry. It was not a place where I shared the gospel in words so much as where I shared the gospel through my life, hard work, and a good attitude. Without barely mentioning my faith, it became known among others. I pray that our lives at work would bring people to consider Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment