Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 21, 2024

QT 5/21/2024 2 Tim 1:6-12, How is my fire going?

2 Timothy 1:6–12 (ESV) — 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, 9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, 10 and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, 12 which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.

 

NOTE: Upon belief in Jesus, we are sealed with the Holy Spirit as a guarantee of our salvation (Eph 1:13). All Christian are also given a spiritual gift. I believe, based on the passage today, that there are times when God gives additional gifts for a peculiar role. The 'laying on of hands' sounds like an ordination ceremony, and it makes sense for God to give additional gifts to perform an ordained position (such as Pastor, Missionary, or as an Elder). Nowhere does it say that we are only given one spiritual gift. But I also believe that a gift of God must be exercised and built. A person who has the gift of knowledge does not know all things or have all the gifts of a researcher, but as he or she uses that gift, the person grows in their ability to discover truth in scripture -- it even will appear supernatural (which is the definition of spiritual gifts). The point is, whatever our gift, what are we doing to increase the effectiveness and skill of our gift? The first and obvious step is to put yourself in situations where you have to use your gift. The next steps require thought and will be different for each gift.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I growing in my spiritual gift?
  2. Have I let the fires of my spiritual birth die?

 

PRAYER: Father, everything really starts with our relationship with you. If we are not meeting daily with you, everything falls apart. It is ridiculous to try to improve a spiritual gift if we are not meeting daily with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment