Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

QT 5/15/2024 1 Tim 6:11-16, Living for what lasts

1 Timothy 6:11–16 (ESV) — 11 But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, 14 to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which he will display at the proper time—he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen.

 

NOTE: There is much to learn from this passage and much one can meditate upon. For one thing, there is contrast with the previous passage and the pursuit of money, with the pursuit of righteousness, godliness, etcetera. But the verse that stands out is "Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called …." God gives eternal life when we receive Jesus. It is not only a quantity, but a quality of life. Yet many of us live for things that are not eternal but are temporary. Money is a temporary thing. But there are eternal things of infinitely more value -- a deeper walk with God, knowledge of his Word, and relationships with people. All three of these will exist into eternity. These items do not steal our joy but are worthy pursuits that benefit us in this life and the life to come.

 

PONDER:

  1. How much time do I spend on eternal pursuits?
  2. How can I make my "temporary" activities (things that will cease to exist upon Christ's return), eternal?

 

PRAYER: Father, may I use my days wisely. May I pursue things that last and not the things of this world. Give me grace to live as you desire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment