Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

QT 5/7/2024 1 Tim 5:11-15, Work and waiting upon God

1 Timothy 5:11–15 (ESV) — 11 But refuse to enroll younger widows, for when their passions draw them away from Christ, they desire to marry 12 and so incur condemnation for having abandoned their former faith. 13 Besides that, they learn to be idlers, going about from house to house, and not only idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying what they should not. 14 So I would have younger widows marry, bear children, manage their households, and give the adversary no occasion for slander. 15 For some have already strayed after Satan.

 

NOTE: There is a lot going on in this verse and it would take a lot of study to resolve some of the apparent conflicts. I will say that I have observed repeatedly in my life, young godly Christian women who upon finding a man (usually a non-Christian who pretends some faith) who shows some interest in her, marry the unbelieving man with the argument that he will change in time. I have seen this over and over again. And for every ten, there is one case where it turns out well. In the end, if they do not abandon the faith, they are rendered useless in the kingdom and powerless with their faith.

 

Concerning young widows, work is good. Work protects us from foolishness. Idleness is a trap and over time will give the enemy opportunity to draw the person away from the faith and into many useless and sinful endeavors, thereby ruining their witness. This is true for a man as well as a women. Jobs were not abundant for woman as they were for men in those days, and so raising children was one of the few available.

 

PONDER:

  1. If I am single, am I willing to wait upon God for a godly spouse?
  2. Do I take work seriously, or do I live for leisure? Do I believe work is good for me?

 

PRAYER: Father, while some of this passage is hard to related to in a modern age, the dangers are still apparent. Satan has worked hard to destroy the idea of marriage, but it is a very good thing when done within the boundaries you have set up. I pray for young Christian women today. Help them to wait. Help them to trust you. Help them to find godly husbands who can lead them to grow closer to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment