Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, May 6, 2024

QT 5/6/2024 1 Tim 5:9-10, Honoring the aged who worked hard for the Lord

1 Timothy 5:9–10 (ESV) — 9 Let a widow be enrolled if she is not less than sixty years of age, having been the wife of one husband, 10 and having a reputation for good works: if she has brought up children, has shown hospitality, has washed the feet of the saints, has cared for the afflicted, and has devoted herself to every good work.

 

NOTE: This passage seems to provide a little bit more detail to the previous passage. Apparently there was a list (some called it an "order") of widows. I think these were widows without any means of financial support. They had to be 60 or older. They had to faithful to their husband in their life. The passage does not exclude marrying more than once, since in verse 14 Paul encourages younger widows to remarry. Rather, these are women who showed fidelity to their husband. It does not say that she had to have children but that she brought up children, that is, knows how to care for children. She is humble, willing to take on the role of a servant if needed (usually only servants washed feet). She knows how to care for the ill, and finally she has lived her life doing good works for others. The church owes these widows, who have no support, to provide and care for them in their older years.

 

In some ways, this is an honor to be put on the list. These women honored God in their lives, and the church needs to honor them in their old age.

 

PONDER:

  1. What am I doing now (today) in terms of good works?
  2. What am I known for in terms of my life?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me in these years to establish a reputation that honors you in all that I do. I want to be known as a servant of others. In my latter years, I don't want to be that old bitter man who only cares for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment