Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

QT 5/8/2024 1 Tim 5:16, Are we fighting against God

1 Timothy 5:16 (ESV) — If any believing woman has relatives who are widows, let her care for them. Let the church not be burdened, so that it may care for those who are truly widows.

 

NOTE: So why does the passage single out women? First, I believe we are talking about married women who have resources. Second, while men can do this task, I believe that women are uniquely equipped to care for others and especially for other women. The husband's work provides the resources, and so the burden falls onto the believing family to care for the widows that are their relatives. The passage is not saying it is "woman's work" or that men are incapable (in some cases that is true), rather that is part of the role assigned by God. Since the role is assigned by God, it is glorious and is a form of worship. It is the glory of a woman to care. It is the glory of a man to provide (protect, sustain, cherish, and lead spiritually). I know this idea is not a popular idea in today's culture. Because of the failure of men in their roles throughout history, Satan has attacked the cultural structure God created. We use terms like "nuclear family" to scoff at the idea. But the idea is established in the very first chapters of Genesis. Our discomfort and brokenness with life arises out of our rejection of these truths. Our culture has not made us any happier. It has fooled and deceived us.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I truly happy with my role in life?
  2. Am I grasping for something that God never promised?
  3. Do I find myself fighting against God (or as God said to Paul, "kicking against the goads"? Life is very painful when we fight God.

 

PRAYER: Father, help us to see where we are fighting against you. Open our eyes to truly see life as you see it. Help us to listen to you and what you are saying to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment