Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

QT 5/1/2024 1 Tim 4:9-16, Keep in the Word

1 Timothy 4:9–16 (ESV) — 9 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. 10 For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

11 Command and teach these things. 12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. 13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. 14 Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. 15 Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. 16 Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.

 

NOTE: I like Paul's exhortation to "immerse yourself in them," referring to reading the word, exhorting, teaching, among other things. It is this attitude of life that brings about change and causes others to see progress (change) in your life. The word of God is very powerful both to change me and change others. Since coming to Christ many years ago, I have persisted in the word, and I have seen the effect. I am not the same person I was. I am very different. I will always have room to grow, but I can sense the peace and joy that the Lord has placed in my heart. Life can still strike me down, and I don't doubt I will fail when suffering grows too large, but I know that I will come out of every challenge stronger.

 

PONDER:

  1. Are we growing in Christ every year? Are we different or stagnant?
  2. Are we seeing the impact of our life on others for their good?

 

PRAYER: Father, give us a deep love for your word. Help us to find time to meet with you and allow you to change us. Make us witnesses that are a pleasing aroma to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment