Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 29, 2024

QT 5/29/2024 2 Tim 2:14-19, Having a positive impact for the kingdom

2 Timothy 2:14–19 (ESV) — 14 Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. 15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. 16 But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, 17 and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18 who have swerved from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened. They are upsetting the faith of some. 19 But God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”

 

NOTE: The phrase "… they are upsetting the faith of some" stands out to me this morning. I remember a teacher who would ask very hard questions of scriptures in class, the kind an atheist might use. I don't mind hard questions, but what bothered me is that he left the questions hanging and unanswered. In essence, he was unintentionally chipping away at people's faith. It might make for interesting class discussion, but unless you answer the questions using the word, you have just attacked the person's faith with a little cut. A few years of that and your faith dies the death of a thousand cuts. Now doubt cannot cause you to lose your salvation, nor even the loss of faith can take away eternal life. But it can make your life miserable; it makes your witness useless, and it causes you to miss out on promised rewards in heaven.

 

PONDER:

  1. Doubt is normal, but when I have doubts, do I seek God and most importantly, his Word, for the answers to my doubts?
  2. When I leave someone after a spiritual discussion, is there faith stronger or weaker?

 

PRAYER: Father, I pray for the words and wisdom to encourage people to grow stronger and deeper in their faith. I want to be a teacher who builds others up, and does not tear them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment