Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, May 2, 2024

QT 5/2/2024 1 Tim 5:1-2, Treat everyone with love and gentleness

1 Timothy 5:1–2 (ESV) — 1 Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers, 2 older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity.

 

NOTE: My initial response to this passage is "Why?" I suppose the first thing to note is that while the word "rebuke" is used about 120 times in the gospels and approximately 30 times in the epistles, but this is the only use of the Greek word epiplesso. This is a strong word for rebuke, meaning,

 

1 to strike upon, beat upon. 2 to chastise with words, to chide, upbraid, rebuke. [Strongs]

 

In other words, when we do have something to say against an older man, it must be done in a gentle and encouraging manner. Likewise, the comparisons to family in the other encounters, all suggest a "loving" response to the individual. It is not as if the leader is "playing politics," but rather the other person is more likely to listen if the admonishment is done is a positive and uplifting manner.

 

Anger usually only begets anger. It is not a sign of weakness to be meek or a sign of strength to be aggressive. We stand before God. He made us who we are and his opinion is the only opinion that counts. Therefore, we need to confident in who we are and gently convey truth to the other person in a manner that causes them to listen and to grow.

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I respond to people that are disagreeable?
  2. How do I seek to correct people?
  3. How would I want to be corrected?

 

PRAYER: Father, these words to Timothy are the same words you have spoken to me over many years and in various ways. Thank you for the change that you have brought about in my life. Continue to lead me and help me to see and observe when I act contrary to this word.

No comments:

Post a Comment