Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 14, 2024

QT 5/14/2024 1 Tim 6:6-10, Contentment is great gain

1 Timothy 6:6–10 (ESV) — 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain, 7 for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. 8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

 

NOTE: In general, contentment is a great strategy for life. It changes everything. But it can be hard to live in contentment if your faith is not deep. When we believe that there really is more to life than what we see physically; when we believe that the unseen world is real; when we believe that we have eternal life -- we can let go of all those expectations and desires of this life. We don't have to be right. We don't have to get a share. We don't need to have things go the way we want. The result is that we can experience a peace that is almost unexplainable. It can exist in the midst of pain and suffering. It does not rely on circumstances.

 

On the other hand, when this life consumes us, it makes us antsy, impatient, critical, and demanding. The is no real peace. And little victories or rewards are short term and nowhere near as fulfilling as we thought they would be. Life is not meant to be lived for stuff. Only a deep relationship with God can root out the junk that consumes our life.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I live wishing for things I never got?
  2. Am I truly content or have my expectations of life stolen my joy?
  3. Can I be truly honest with myself?

 

PRAYER: Father, I've lived in both worlds, and still do at times. But the more time I spend with you, the more contentment rules my life. I am okay with what you have given. I am excited for today. I don't need to dream about tomorrow. Continue to give me joy and peace through your Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment