Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, May 9, 2024

QT 5/9/2024 1 Tim 5:17-21, Seeing the positive as well

1 Timothy 5:17–21 (ESV) — 17 Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. 18 For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer deserves his wages.” 19 Do not admit a charge against an elder except on the evidence of two or three witnesses. 20 As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear. 21 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of the elect angels I charge you to keep these rules without prejudging, doing nothing from partiality.

 

NOTE: Considering some of the leadership issues that Timothy was facing, it is interesting that Paul exhorts Timothy to honor and protect the good leaders. I suppose, too much attention on the negative doesn't build up the positive aspects in the church. Rather than take on the role of Mr. Fixit, we need to be careful not to see all things in a negative light. It is just as important to honor and protect the good things that are happening as it is to deal with the things that are going bad. I can be fairly critical, and I need to take a step back, and look and see the good things. The people in attendance last night took the time out of their evening to listen to an unpaid teacher speak on a very complicated and difficult subject. They deserve applause for making that effort.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I only see the negative things, and am always suggesting ways to fix?
  2. Or do I see the positive things as well, and am complimenting those quiet unseen servants?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the message and reminder. I want to be an encourager, not a criticizer. Forgive me for when I get in that human tendency of judging things. May I rest in the peace that you give and see things as you see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment