Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

QT 14 Jul 2020, Hos 1:4-9 portions, The importance of a real change


Hosea 1:4–9 portions (ESV) — 4 And the Lord said to him, “Call his name Jezreel, for in just a little while … I will put an end to the kingdom of the house of Israel.
6 She conceived again and bore a daughter. And the Lord said to him, “Call her name No Mercy, for I will no more have mercy on the house of Israel, to forgive them at all. 7…, she conceived and bore a son. 9 And the Lord said, “Call his name Not My People, for you are not my people, and I am not your God.”

NOTE: Three children and three negative names to illustrate God's wrath and Israel's future (note: the passage does not apply to Judah). The three names mean: 1) God scatters, 2) No mercy, and 3) Not my people. Any one of the three names is devastating. To cease to be a nation and thrown out of the land of promise is devastating. To not be given mercy is heart-wrenching. But to lose the relationship with God, the words are indescribable. God's covenant with his people still stands, but this temporary judgment is terrifying. The passage illustrates how serious God takes sin. The warning is also to us. Are we serious about our relationship with God and our attitude toward sin. I see people who show great piety in some areas but are totally lacking in love for God. They are religious (very much so) but they are not saved. They do not have a relationship with Jesus. They have not experienced in their inner heart the deep changing work of the Holy Spirit. My heart breaks for them. They do not really understand the salvation that is  theirs in Jesus.

PRAYER: Father, open the eyes of those who claim to be known by you. Help them to see their self-deception. Help them to know real life and a real relationship with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment