Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 6, 2020

QT 6 Jul 2020, Ps 66;16-19, Does God answer our prayers? Does he even hear them?


Psalm 66:16–19 (ESV) —
16 Come and hear, all you who fear God,
and I will tell what he has done for my soul.
17 I cried to him with my mouth,
and high praise was on my tongue.
18 If I had cherished iniquity in my heart,
the Lord would not have listened.
19 But truly God has listened;
he has attended to the voice of my prayer.

NOTE: God answers prayer, or does he? God does not even listen to the person who cherishes iniquity in their heart. God turns a deaf ear to those who cherish iniquity. What does that mean since we are all sinners? The word cherish, ra'ah /raw-aw/, and the word listen, shama /shaw-mah/ have a slight similarity. We cherish (a form of listening -- listen to) other things and the Lord does not listen to our prayers (cherish our prayers). One definition for the Hebrew word cherish means to give attention to. We should be giving attention to God, but instead we are giving attention to iniquity (sin). How do we solve this problem? There are two ways. One, we repent at the beginning of our  prayer time. Two, we ask God to reveal our sins to us. In Ps 139 David asked God to search his heart and reveal if there is any wicked way in him. But deep down, for most of us, we know our sin, we just don't want to admit it or to give it up. And so, our prayers are ineffective. God does not hear or answer our prayers.

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for my own selfishness. Forgive for my feeding of the flesh. I want to see my prayers as effective. I want to hear your voice. I desire that you hear my prayers. I don't want to get in the way. When you do answer, it may not be the way I wanted you to answer, but I will have faith that it is the best way.

No comments:

Post a Comment