Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, July 3, 2020

QT 3 Jul 2020, Ps 63:1, Seeking God early


Psalm 63:1 (ESV) —
1 O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

NOTE: Psalm 63 verse 1 is a very famous and well-loved verse. Constable and older translations (such as the KJV and AV) translated shakar (the word used for earnestly) as to seek early. It could mean that, and if we eagerly or earnestly sought God, it should be from the start of the day. I can imagine David waking up in the morning and the very first thing of the day is, what will God say to me today? I can't say I think that exactly, but I do look forward to my quiet time. It is not a burden.

Right now, the house is quiet, the sun is streaming in the window onto my back, and the ceiling fans pushes cold air down on me. It is very peaceful. God's word is familiar and yet very comforting. I have started reading a book at night before I go to bed. It is one of the few physical books I have bought in the last decade. I literally have thousands on my devices, and from older days, over 500 on shelves. But this new leather book is small and contains passages of scripture for each day, not more really than a page's worth. I have been reading those verses so that the last thing at night is God's word. When I wake up, and clean up, and grab my coffee, I then find a quiet place to hear and respond to God's word. So, do I eagerly look forward to meeting with God in the morning? After 40 years of walking with God, I think I can say yes.  What is God saying then this morning? He has given me a love for him and his word. And it is truly wonderful.

PRAYER: Father, my soul does thirst for you. Maybe that is why I can be frustrated with others who should know better and yet refuse to put you first in the morning. Others, who refuse to make application to your word. You have been very good to me over the years, and the years have had their share of pain. I would not want to go through the pain again, and I don't know what the future holds, but I would make you my savior over and over again. I am an unworthy son that is loved so exceedingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment