Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

QT 21 Jul 2020, Hos 3:1-5, Are we in love with God?


Hosea 3:1–5 (ESV) —
1 And the Lord said to me, “Go again, love a woman who is loved by another man and is an adulteress, even as the Lord loves the children of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love cakes of raisins.” 2 So I bought her for fifteen shekels of silver and a homer and a lethech of barley. 3 And I said to her, “You must dwell as mine for many days. You shall not play the whore, or belong to another man; so will I also be to you.” 4 For the children of Israel shall dwell many days without king or prince, without sacrifice or pillar, without ephod or household gods. 5 Afterward the children of Israel shall return and seek the Lord their God, and David their king, and they shall come in fear to the Lord and to his goodness in the latter days.

NOTE: Apparently, Gomer left Hosea and then sold herself into slavery. Hosea buys his wife back and takes her into his house. The story is an ugly story. It is very painful to consider. I will assume that Gomer was remorseful. I'm sure being a slave was not a good experience. And it was hard for Hosea as well. He must have asked questions like, "does she love me?" and "will she run away again?" and "how can I forgive her?" These are the feelings of God toward a people he had called special and yet did not treat him special. Even today, in the church, with the Holy Spirit abiding in us, do we treat our relationship with God as special? Is it special? Do we yearn to meet with God in the morning? Do we yearn to hear his voice? Are we in love with our savior? Or do we go through the motions and act in a religious manner without any heart for our savior?

PRAYER: Father, I do look forward to these mornings. I yearn to hear you speak. I am excited about what you will say. But I also forget during the day and I get caught up in the things that are not important. I forget to trust. I forget that you earnestly love me and are working in my life. I see someone I love do stupid things and I forget your love. Forgive me for my lack of trust. Forgive for not pursuing you in prayer more.

No comments:

Post a Comment