Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

QT 7 July 2020, 2 Tim 1:3-7, Our new birth reminds us of God's love in a time of increasing suffering


2 Timothy 1:3–7 (ESV) — 3 I thank God whom I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. 4 As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy. 5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

NOTE: This letter to Timothy (when read fully) reveals a Paul deserted by friends because of Nero's war against Christian sect leaders. Paul's first defense did not go well. Paul recognizes that he is already (pre-determined) to be a sacrifice for Nero's burning down of the city. Also, Paul suggest the end is coming soon. The last days are approaching. His race and fight is over. And so he wants to encourage his spiritual son Timothy because everything is going to get much harder to live as a Christian. How does he encourage him? He reminds him of the special-ness of his conversion and Paul's joy in seeing his faith. I think it is good to remember those days. God reached out to me in college, during the "I found it" campaign and through the ministry of the Navigators. Tom F., Bill M., and others made me feel special. I learned that love can be found in dedicated believers. I watched as the word of God transformed me from the inside out. I felt the power of the resurrected life. No matter what happens in the days ahead, for those who have experienced the new birth, there is no fear. We are His. We have a glorious future.

PRAYER: I am yours. I am purchased by your blood. I am part of your family. And you have promised me to never leave or forsake me. I am loved unconditionally and eternally. Thank you for all that you have done for me. I am an unworthy son.

No comments:

Post a Comment