Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

QT 9/10/2024 Gal 5:25, Keep in step with the Spirit

Galatians 5:22–26 (ESV) —

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

 

NOTE: What does it mean to keep in step with the Spirit? Betz (1979) and Longenecker (1990) suggest

 

The verb translated “keep in step with” is a military term meaning to “be drawn up in line,” to “stand in a row.”

 

And T. George (1994) says

 

In Hellenistic philosophical circles, this word was used to mean “follow someone’s philosophical principles.” It suggests, therefore, the basic idea of discipleship: conformity to Christ under the leadership of the Spirit.

 

I like those definitions. I was hesitant to come up with my own, but these make sense. The next questions would be, "How do we keep in step with the Spirit?" Based on the above definitions, we need to know what the Spirit wants and is doing. The fruit of the Spirit in verses 22-23 is an excellent guide. But even more so, daily intake of the word of God and prayer is how we stay in step with the Spirit, otherwise it is too easy to get off track or out of step.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I meet with God every day in His word?
  2. Do I pray every day?
  3. Does my intermittent behavior suggest that God is not really a priority in my life?

 

PRAYER: Father, there are two things that have transformed me more than anything else, a regular quiet time, and teaching a bible study class. I look forward to my quiet time every morning. And I have learned so much in my preparation to teach a bible class. Thank you. Continue your work of transformation in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment