Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, September 2, 2024

QT 9/2/2024 Jer 32:31-33, What part of the decline am I participating?

Jeremiah 32:31–33 (ESV) — 31 This city has aroused my anger and wrath, from the day it was built to this day, so that I will remove it from my sight 32 because of all the evil of the children of Israel and the children of Judah that they did to provoke me to anger—their kings and their officials, their priests and their prophets, the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem. 33 They have turned to me their back and not their face. And though I have taught them persistently, they have not listened to receive instruction.

 

NOTE: Although God does not mention the covenant, the passage is in response to the agreement set up between God and Israel (see Deut 28). Some people argue that the US set up a covenant with God as well, but I think that argument is weak and is not confirmed in scripture. But could it (this national judgment) happen here? The nations are a drop in the bucket to God. He raises up nations (even evil ones) and he pulls down nations. God raised up Babylon to use it to punish Israel. He also, in a way, blessed Babylon by revealing his truth to the nation through Daniel, Ezekiel, and the godly Israelites who lived there. Many think that the wise men who gave gifts to Jesus' family are the heritage of that impact. There is no doubt that the US is deserving judgment for her wickedness. We have cast aside restraint and violated all the foundational principles given in Genesis: only two sexes, marriage between a man and a woman, sex only in the context of marriage, spiritual headship, work as a good thing, morality (right and wrong) defined by God and not society, guilt as a warning light for sin, and family roles. Yes, we are deserving of judgment. Will it happen now, as it seems to be happening, or will it happen during the tribulation?

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I contribute to the general lawlessness of my country?
  2. What am I doing to share the only hope we have, the good news of Jesus Christ?

 

PRAYER: Father, I do not want to live in a way that continues the morass that is consuming our country. Help me to see the ways to speak up and tell others of the savior.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment