Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

QT 9/3/2024 Luke 18:11-13, In desperate need for mercy

Luke 18:11–13 (ESV) — 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’

 

NOTE: I am thankful that I am changed, but I did not do it, God has done it. I know what I would be without his transformation (it is not a pleasant picture). And I am still a sinner who falls repeatedly to the temptations of the world: the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. Humanly, I wonder if I will ever be free. I am tempted at times to ignore the last strongholds. But, by you grace, I confess, repent, get up and seek to live in your power again. I will do this as often as it needed until I receive a new glorified body. I don't want to ever give up fighting sin. And I know I need mercy over and over. I am glad -- actually overjoyed -- that your mercy has no bounds, and that like you it is infinite.

 

"Oh, Give thanks to the Lord! … For He is good … For His mercy endureth forever and forever." (Song His Mercy Endureth Forever)

 

Lamentations 3:22 (ESV) — 22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end;

 

Thank you Lord. I thank you that I am a broken man without any claim to your kingdom except Jesus. You loved me even though I was your enemy. I thank you, I am not like myself, but I wish I was so much more than I still am. Be merciful me, still a sinner, still struggling, still longing for the day when I will not struggle with sin anymore.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I think more highly of myself than I should?
  2. Do I look down on others for their failures?

 

PRAYER: Father, continue your mercy. I pray today to use it wisely. Lead and guide me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment