Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Saturday, September 14, 2024

QT 9/14/2024 2 Tim 2:4, Mission takes precedence

2 Timothy 2:1–7 (ESV) —

1 You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, 2 and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also. 3 Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. 5 An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. 6 It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. 7 Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything.

 

NOTE: What are civilian pursuits? They are things that do not contribute to the mission (or at least very lightly) but take considerable time and energy to accomplish. The mission is to make disciples (Matt 28:19-20) and to take the gospel to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8). Since I have retired, a few opportunities have opened up, and each of them is a way to be involved with people, but what is better? I see three things, but let me add another for comparison purposes:

 

  1. Work at a downtown homeless shelter. They are opportunities to identify with Christ but they are not great. There really isn't a way to make disciples. It is good to serve the poor.
  2. Spend time serving on our HOA. This is a good way to meet neighbors. It could lead to opportunities to share in depth or to make disciples. Mostly it is dealing with worldly issues of wealthy people.
  3. Teach at a local community college. Currently I am helping students with resumes and job interviews. It is an opportunity to identify with Christ. Teaching would bring me in contact with more students. And then involvement with the established campus ministry would give me opportunity to disciple and to share my faith. As a teacher in an science field, my testimony will have more weight.
  4. Play golf for exercise. While this is an opportunity to meet people and share, I have never found it that fruitful. The actual amount of time spent in close proximity is small, especially if you are walking.

 

There are many more examples that could be listed. The key is discerning the impact on the mission versus the impact on civilian concerns (wealth, quality of life, etc).

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I use my extra time?
  2. Am I committed to the mission or to civilian concerns?

 

PRAYER: Thank you Lord for your leading and direction. Continue to confirm my decision to teach at the local college campus. Use me for your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment