Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

QT 9/24/2024 2 Chron 7:12-14, Truly seeking God

2 Chronicles 7:12–14 (ESV) —

12 Then the Lord appeared to Solomon in the night and said to him: “I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for myself as a house of sacrifice. 13 When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command the locust to devour the land, or send pestilence among my people, 14 if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

 

NOTE: The passage is specific to Israel and in response to Solomon's prayer. But, the principles are common in how God has chosen to deal with those called by his name. He uses hard times to drive us back to him, and to seek him once again. He desires us to humble ourselves in repentance, to pray, seek him, and turn from our sin. Finally, he promises to forgive, and in his time, to heal. It is almost like math equation with one large difference, it is not a formula, but a reflection of what the true heart of a child of God should feel. One cannot fool God by going through the motions of repentance and seeking him through outward works. It has to be from the inside. It has to be from the heart.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I going through the motions in my seeking God?
  2. Is my heart fully engaged? Am I truly repentant? Am I broken?

 

PRAYER: Father, I do so desire to seek you with all my heart. I don't want to live for this world or the things of this world. I am not placed here to enjoy life (although that is no evil), but I am here to serve you. Help me to follow your will and serve you with my whole spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment