Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

QT 9/11/2024 Luke 22:45-46, Praying as spiritual preparation

Luke 22:45–46 (ESV) —

45 And when he rose from prayer, he came to the disciples and found them sleeping for sorrow, 46 and he said to them, “Why are you sleeping? Rise and pray that you may not enter into temptation.”

 

NOTE: They were sleeping because they were depressed. Sorrow very easily transitions to depression. Sleeping is the natural result of being emotionally exhausted, weary, and sad. They had tried to pray. In the other synoptic gospels, Jesus came by two other times and warned them of sleeping. Why is this so important? What is the implication to me? And how do I apply it?

 

When a major event occurs, we need to pray as part of our spiritual preparation. The enemy is out in force for things that could have a major impact for the gospel. I don't know how major my event is today, but I think it is pretty big and is the result of almost a year of planning. I need to pray for people to attend, to be able to identify with my savior, and that I would be a real help to the college students as they prepare for a career. I can't do it in my strength, I need the Holy Spirit to guide and direct me. I need to be on guard for temptation, which can come in many forms. The three major avenues of attack are the lust of eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life.

 

The long term application is that whenever we are undergoing a significant event, the event needs extra prayer as preparation.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I tend to rely on my own strength when I am facing major events?
  2. Do I spend the extra time praying in preparation?

 

PRAYER: Father, today give me grace. I need your strength and power. As I spend some time after this praying, I pray for your spirit to lead me in my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment