Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, September 12, 2024

QT 9/12/2024 Rom 8:3-4, Loved (almost unbelievably) by God

Romans 8:3–4 (ESV) —

3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

 

NOTE: We know from Romans that the Law reveals our need for a savior because it is impossible to keep the law (earlier arguments in Paul's letter). This verse tells us that if a person kept the righteous requirement of the law, he would be accepted in God's sight. But we have a problem and it is the flesh that fights against the law, leaving the law only to highlight our pitiful shortcomings. Jesus fulfilled every aspect of the law. He lived a sinless life in his actions and in his thoughts. Jesus followed the letter of the law and he followed the spirit of the law. Therefore, he had no sin of his own, and he was free to take on another's sin. By virtue of being the infinite God, he could take on the whole world's sin and exchange our sinful status for his righteous state. The transaction is complete, our future is before us, except for one thing -- we must believe God and accept the free gift, for that is one command we are not free from following -- the requirement to believe upon our creator, God.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I believe in God or do I believe that my good actions will outweigh my bad actions? If the latter, I (you) do not understand the gospel.
  2. Am I religious or am I born again? Religion will not save me (you)!

 

PRAYER: Father, I can say as many have said before me, "I am a sinner saved by grace." I have no personal qualifications. There is no reason you should love me or Jesus should die for me. But, I am incredibly grateful that you did. I can't understand your great love. I can't properly express my thankfulness. Even in thankfulness, I can't escape my sinful nature. My love for you should not even be mentioned, less the sentence be placed too close to your love for me. They are completely different things. And yet, I am adopted into the family and am now your son. These things are too great to understand. Continue to show mercy to me, a sinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment