Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Sunday, September 1, 2024

QT 9/1/2024 Matt 13:53-58, Restoring the innocence

Matthew 13:53–58 (ESV) — 53 And when Jesus had finished these parables, he went away from there, 54 and coming to his hometown he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, “Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works? 55 Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? 56 And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own household.” 58 And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.

 

NOTE: What is happening? First, the Jews had rejected Jesus chronologically earlier -- in this case 13:53-58 does follow 12:22 ff. After the rejection in Matt 12, Jesus' miracles required faith in the hearer. Second is the adage, familiarity breeds contempt. We become so used to something, that we fail to see new things. We pigeon-hole people, not allowing them to grow, at least in our mind's eyes. A child's strength is the joy and amazement when they see something new. They are thrilled. I bought my granddaughter a new book the other day where my eyes filled in the eyes of the book and when I read it, she was shaking with excitement. It was new, it was amazing. But as we get older, we lose the thrill of new things. In this "season of seeking" my prayer is to see new things and to receive them like a child.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have I pushed off Jesus to the side of my life, like the Jews?
  2. Have I grown cold to the wonders of God and the word?

 

PRAYER: Father, as the Psalmist says, open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. I do pray to see you anew and afresh in these days. Capture my heart and reveal yourself to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment