Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, September 6, 2024

QT 9/6/2024 John 3:29-36, Loving others through our spiritual gift

John 3:29–36 (ESV) —

29 The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete. 30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

31 He who comes from above is above all. He who is of the earth belongs to the earth and speaks in an earthly way. He who comes from heaven is above all. 32 He bears witness to what he has seen and heard, yet no one receives his testimony. 33 Whoever receives his testimony sets his seal to this, that God is true. 34 For he whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure. 35 The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand. 36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

 

NOTE: Do I take what is rightly God's and apply it to myself? Over the years, God's gift of speaking has matured in me greatly. People regularly thank me for my "message" or my class. But I am really nothing. God gave me a gift of teaching. God has given me the wisdom. God has given me the words. God has given me tools to study. God has given me the time to do the work. God has taught me. Really, it all comes from God, my joy should not be that people enjoyed it, but rather that people learned something and that God used me as his vessel.

 

That should be true in all of the spiritual gifts of the Spirit. God gives gifts to build up the body and build up the kingdom. We can misuse our gifts by taking pride, or doing them to be seen, or not truly loving the people we serve with our gifts. What do I mean by "not truly loving?" I believe if we do not think of the person, we are in danger of not helping, but rather enabling bad habits. I want people to get in the Word of God on their own, but if my teaching does not encourage that or even make them think it is not necessary, then I am misusing my gift of teaching.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I think about how I am using my gift in individual people?
  2. Do I think of what behavior I am encouraging or teaching?
  3. Do I challenge people to know God and get into the word, because that is what is really important?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to think through this more and to think how I can use my gift to build up the body and not myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment