Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, September 5, 2024

QT 9/5/2024 Ps 139:21-24, I am not so different

Psalm 139:21–24 (ESV)

21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord?

And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?

22 I hate them with complete hatred;

I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!

Try me and know my thoughts!

24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,

and lead me in the way everlasting!

 

NOTE: There is an apparent contrast between the first two verses and the second two. But they really don't differ. There is the world and those who follow the world, and who have given themselves to the world's way (verses 21-22). Like God, I should hate what they represent -- I should loathe them for what they do to God's creation and God's commands. But I am also told to love them, be kind to them, and gently try to lead them to Jesus. Verses 23-24 is the capstone to 21-22, that is, I am very close to being the very thing I "hate." And what is worse, sometimes I don't even know it. I sin so subtly as to fool myself. Who am I to think that I am so much different from my spiritual enemies? I am nobody. I need the Lord's help to make sure I do not follow my fellow men into that cesspool.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I realize that I can be as guilty in lifestyle as those whose lifestyle I loathe?
  2. Do I realize I am but a hairbreadth away?
  3. Do I remember that I certainly lived once like those whose lifestyle I denounce?

 

PRAYER: Lord, I am not so great. In so many ways, I am failure. I know what is right to do, and I fail to do it on many occasions. I need your help. I once was that man David described in verses 21-22. Search me, show me, and help me to leave my sinful ways behind me. Until I die, I will fight this battle with your help and your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment