Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, September 16, 2024

QT 9/16/2024 Jam 3:13-18, What does it mean to be wise?

James 3:13–18 (ESV) —

13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. 15 This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. 17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. 18 And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

 

NOTE: James argues that true wisdom is seen in a person's actions. He focuses on two actions that are contrary to spiritual wisdom from above, jealousy and selfish ambition. These two lead to a number of vile practices. Spiritual wisdom, on the other hand, is characterized by peace, gentleness, an openness to reason, mercy, positive responses, impartiality, and sincerity. This is a work of the Holy Spirit that takes time and does not happen overnight. But it is the Holy Spirit, through the power of God's word that transforms a person into a different individual. My early life was characterized by selfish ambition. I still struggle with its remnants but I see a different man than I used to be. I know this is God's work, a long and very painful work, but one that in the end was worth it. I am still working on filing edges off of my personality, but I am absolutely convinced that God is doing this good work. What will follow? Does it really matter if I am living more and more like the savior. I am content with his plan.

 

PONDER:

  1. Where do I struggle with jealousy?
  2. Where do I struggle with selfish ambition?
  3. What is my commitment to getting God's wisdom into my life daily and applying it daily?

 

PRAYER: Continue to lead me Lord and teach me. Continue to pour your word into my life. Open my eyes to see my failures. Transform me by your word. I desire to please you with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment