Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

QT 9/17/2024 Mark 10:42-45, Humility as a leader

Mark 10:42–45 (ESV) —

42 And Jesus called them to him and said to them, “You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 43 But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, 44 and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

 

NOTE: I see people on LinkedIn with the title "Servant-Leader." The problem is that I know them and they are not (at least when I knew them) servant-leaders. It's a catchy title and it should emphasize that the person is more concerned about their people than their own careers, but I don't think that is the case. Still, I should give them credit for realizing that the title is good and that people look for that type of leader. What is it that people imagine when they see the title, servant-leader? In my mind, it is a humble person. It is a person who will take the bullet for the team when something comes apart. It is a person who wants the team to get credit for the work, not him or herself. It is the person who is always talking about the individuals on the team and the work they are accomplishing, and who downplays his/her own role. It is the person who is thinking about individuals and how to make them better and how to get them promoted. It is someone who cares.

 

The same thing applies in the Christian ministry. We need humble leaders. We need servants. We don't need people who require the limelight. They are happy seeing God exalted and the ministry progressing. They are comfortable becoming less like John the Baptist.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I need to hear my name mentioned in something I was involved in?
  2. Am I comfortable being forgotten in order to see God exalted?

 

PRAYER: Father, I pray as you continue to humble me, help me to see where I show pride. Help me as I work at de-emphasizing myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment