Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, October 10, 2019

QT 10 Oct 19, 2 Thess 2:16-17, Works can save us from a fruitless Christian life


2 Thessalonians 2:16–17 (RSV) — 16 Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, 17 comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word.

NOTE: I think verses 16 and 17 are tied together even more closely than proximity. I think eternal comfort and good hope are directly related to "establish them in every good work and word." As we involve ourselves in ministry, and in reading and sharing the word with others we truly begin to experience comfort and hope. It is a peace that surpasses understanding. It is found in a deep and abiding relationship with Jesus, and then the application of his word to our lives through works. Works don't save us, but they do save us from ourselves. If we are not working out our faith, if we are not applying the word to our life, we will become nervous, agitated, doubtful, and stressed. Good works done as a result of God's word and the Spirit's direction save us from the trap of the carnal Christian.

PRAYER: Father, I need to remain committed to your word and to applying your word each and every day. My witness, my health (physically and emotionally and psychologically) is all tied to your word and service. Give me an open ear to hear you speak to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment