Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, October 24, 2019

QT 24 Oct 19, Phil 2:5-7, Extreme humility


Philippians 2:5–7 (RSV) — 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

NOTE: The illustration here of Jesus as God becoming a man is so otherworldly as to seem incomprehensible to the point, which is about humbling yourself. Jesus was God and Jesus emptied himself to become a man. There is no human counterpart other than dying for another person. Paul seems to be saying, I not talking about humbling yourself a little, I am suggest a complete humbling to the point that I die (my estimation of my importance). But then I wonder, can anyone have that type of mind? If Paul, in essence the Lord speaking through Paul, is asking me to completely humble myself for the sake of others, then it must be possible. This is the most difficult struggle of my arrogant life. I really do struggle. I want to puff myself up and make sure that people know of my accomplishments or my knowledge. I need to let go of that. I really need to ditch those efforts.

PRAYER: Father, help me to see today (especially in my class) how I am trying to exalt myself. Bring to mind my quiet time. Expose my sin to me. Give me grace and strength to humble myself for the sake of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment