Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

QT 9 Oct 19, 2 Thess 2:15, We need to apply God's word, not just read it


2 Thessalonians 2:15 (RSV) — So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

NOTE: I tend to rebel against traditions and the thought here might be a little different in terms of meaning. People of that time committed things to memory. You didn't go look it up in a notebook. Constable suggests that you did not really know it until it was memorized. So  the traditions here may not be activities in a church but rather teachings that Paul had given in the past. These were probably the basics of the faith. The teaching and doctrine was memorized and probably also internalized. The traditions or teaching were a part of their lives. This is part of the reason application is so important. When we apply the word of God to our life, we take it to another level of internalization. It becomes a part of us. We need to be regularly applying the word to specific areas of our life in a way that is measurable and accountable. I'm afraid that very few Christians ever do any such thing.

PRAYER: Father, I pray we would be does of the word and not hearers only. I pray we would follow through on specific and measurable application of the word of God to life. I pray we would be accountable to another brother or sister as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment