Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, October 18, 2019

QT 18 Oct 19, Phil 1:17-18, I can rejoice in all things


Philippians 1:17–18 (RSV) — 17 the former proclaim Christ out of partisanship, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in that I rejoice.

NOTE: By the end of his life, Paul was a positive individual. I don't think he started out that way. He seems much harsher in his letter to Galatians. Of course, in the letter to the Galatians, the Judaizers had changed the gospel, and so that is a different problem. Still, he is not bothered by people with the wrong motives. He sees God's hand at work in the good and the bad. He is not discouraged. In fact, he is making special effort to communicate to the Philippians that things are going well. I can't imagine Paul sulking or playing the "woe is me" card. Why? Because he truly believed in the sovereign hand of God in his life. No matter how bad things were going, he trusted in God and maintained his hope in God.

PRAYER: Father, protect me from the world's traps. One of them is to feel sorry for yourself when things don't go the way you want them. Lord, I want to rejoice always and maintain a positive attitude because you are my hope and you are in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment