Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, October 17, 2019

QT 17 Oct 2019, Phil 1:6, We have to make disciples for the good of the body


Philippians 1:6 (RSV) — And I am sure that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

NOTE: Paul was confident of the work that God was doing in the lives of his spiritual children. I wonder why? Maybe because he saw it in their commitment to him. Maybe he saw it in their suffering. I don't see it in my church or most churches I've been involved. I see people, who call themselves Christians, living carnal lives. They are nice, but they are not witnesses. I see gossip and petty arguments and selfishness. I don't see enough disciples or disciple-making -- at least according to Jesus' definition. A disciple is simply a follower, but Jesus put stringent requirements on the term to be his disciple. Maybe Paul's confidence was that he truly communicated and taught people to be Jesus' disciples according to Jesus' definition. Yes, if that was the case, I too could have the same confidence in the church body.

PRAYER: Father open our eyes to the reality of our salvation. Help us to truly live as disciples and to truly make disciples. We don't need facts, what we need is application of the truths to our lives. We know ninety percent of what we will ever know about the bible, but we only live one percent of it. Change us I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment