Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, October 31, 2019

QT 31 Oct 19, Phil 3:13-15, What is our "one thing" we do?


Philippians 3:13–15 (RSV) — 13 Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature be thus minded; and if in anything you are otherwise minded, God will reveal that also to you.

NOTE: The picture here is really about running and competing in an athletic event. A few things stand out -- "but one thing I do." This is really important. This is the driving goal of Paul's life. Nothing else compares. Second item to stand out is the number of prepositional phrases -- toward, for the, of the, of, and in. What is Paul's goal? It is an upward call of God in Christ Jesus. In the races, highly respected officers would hand the reward down to the participant. There is a reward for living the Christian life correctly. We all receive eternal life, but there are rewards only given to those who live completely for Jesus. The mature know this, the immature fight against it because they want to wallow in the world.

PRAYER: Father, I want to live like Paul. I want to earn a reward for faithful service. I want a crown that I can wear and then throw down at your feet to communicate how thankful I am for my salvation. I know I am unworthy of salvation, but I am not unworthy enough to say I'm thankful or to worship you correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment