Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Saturday, October 5, 2019

QT 5 Oct 19, 1 Kings 17:4-7, Times of want and times of plenty are times to learn


1 Kings 17:4-7 (RSV) — 4 You shall drink from the brook, and I have commanded the ravens to feed you there.” 5 So he went and did according to the word of the Lord; he went and dwelt by the brook Cherith that is east of the Jordan. 6 And the ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning, and bread and meat in the evening; and he drank from the brook. 7 And after a while the brook dried up, because there was no rain in the land.

NOTE: In Streams of the Desert, the Cowman writes,
"THE education of our faith is incomplete if we have not learned that there is a providence of loss, a ministry of failing and of fading things, a gift of emptiness. The material insecurities of life make for its spiritual establishment. The dwindling stream by which Elijah sat and mused is a true picture of the life of each of us. “It came to pass … that the brook dried up”—that is the history of our yesterday, and a prophecy of our morrows." (1925)
I do not like it when people spiritualize scripture. Cowman's insight is a bit of a stretch from this passage, but he is right for two reasons. One, it is true that God tells him to go to a place that later runs dry. God did want him to experience loss and a certain helplessness so that Elijah might trust in God. Additionally, the principle is taught in many other passages of scripture. The best example is Paul's statement in Philippians where he says "I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound; in any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want." There is a secret, but it is not just about "want," it is also about "abundance." There is a great danger in both states, but the dangers are much different. Both can eat at your souls.

PRAYER: Father, you have taken me through extreme times of want and times of plenty. I don't want to miss the lessons you have for me. Give me wisdom to apply your truths to whatever situation I find myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment