Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

QT 6/11/2024 2 Tim 4:9-13, Even Paul was a lifelong learner

2 Timothy 4:9–13 (ESV) — 9 Do your best to come to me soon. 10 For Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia. 11 Luke alone is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is very useful to me for ministry. 12 Tychicus I have sent to Ephesus. 13 When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments.

 

NOTE: Some scholars believe that Paul was released from Rome and then later re-arrested (rather harshly) at Troas. The suddenness of the arrest did not allow him to gather his things. While some disciples deserted him, others were probably assigned to ministry tasks. A previous disciple, Mark, who had deserted Paul, was back, and had a very useful ministry to Paul (maybe he was a writer who wrote the book of Mark). When all else is gone and your freedom is lost, who are the people you value the most and what is the most valuable thing? Certainly family are the ones you wish to see at the end of your life, but there are a few friends that mean a lot to me as well. As for things, my android tablet, or pc tablet, or kindle would be most valuable. They have all my books and all my notes (in OneNote). My library (on each device) easily exceeds most small town libraries of years ago. I have quite a few thousand books and journals. Unfortunately, they do require power. It is interesting that books and writings seem so important to people.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I a reader, a life-long learner?
  2. What things have value to me, and why?

 

PRAYER: Father, I think my books are valuable because they continue to give insight to you and to your creation. I love learning. Thank you. I pray that I can continue to study and learn up until the day you take me home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment