Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, June 24, 2024

QT 6/24/2024 Tit 2:6-8, Setting a good example in teaching

Titus 2:6–8 (ESV) — 6 Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled. 7 Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, 8 and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.

 

NOTE: The key thought is that I (and other leaders) are to set the example in our teaching for younger men. Paul emphasizes two areas, good works, and teaching with three characteristics (integrity, dignity, and sound speech).

 

Good works. It is important for a leader to be more than just a teacher. The leader / teacher must be involved in the community, helping and serving. We are not ivory tower residents, but men who serve and care for others. If our teaching does not compel us to apply it, how can we expect others.

 

Teaching that shows integrity. The Greek word is translated uncorruptness. What does that mean? I think it emphasizes the importance of sound doctrine. Also, the teaching should fit, there should not be holes in the logic or contradictions to other areas of scripture.

 

Teaching that shows dignity. The Greek word translates to behavioral dignity. There are ways to share truth that does not bring shame to the message or turn off the unbelieving listener. I think dignity, control of the emotions, and logical arguments are a part of bringing dignity to teaching.

 

Teaching that shows sound speech. The Greek words translate as a healthy message, literally hygiene logos. Lea and Griffin argue for a well composed presentation, thought-out, and delivered attractively. Good hygiene is a mark of civilized society. It is hard to look at a person who does not take care of themselves, it distracts from the message. So, I think both the personal appearance and the message appearance should be sound and attractive (to the extent possible).

 

PONDER:

  1. I agree with each of the four paragraphs, but where am I the weakest?
  2. What can I do to improve in one of the four applications?

 

PRAYER: Father, while the new grandchild was fitting into the home, I let some of my serving tasks fall by the wayside. I need to get back into those habits. I don't want to sit in my ivory tower but I want to set an example to those who watch me.

No comments:

Post a Comment