Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, June 17, 2024

QT 6/17/2024 Tit 1:1-4, We have a spiritual need

Titus 1:1–4 (ESV) — 1 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness, 2 in hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began 3 and at the proper time manifested in his word through the preaching with which I have been entrusted by the command of God our Savior;

4 To Titus, my true child in a common faith:

Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.

 

NOTE: This is a long introduction and is deep in theological concepts. It was probably written after 1 Timothy and before 2 Timothy. Paul, at this point has not been re-arrested. Titus is a Gentile Christian who apparently came to faith as a result of Paul's ministry. He is mentioned by Paul in four letters, although not with a lot of detail. There were probably a number of house churches in Crete at the time. Titus' job was to establish order in the churches and protect them from Satan's schemes. Paul's opening statement is a reminder of a key doctrinal point -- our eternal life is a sure hope. No one who has put their faith in Christ can lose that salvation. We are God's elect and God does not lie. You cannot make a stronger statement of our faith.

 

The work has been accomplished by Jesus, but the message has been entrusted to us. It is a message that is timeless. Modern times have not eclipsed the need in the soul for meaning and purpose. That need did not evolve, but was created in our hearts by the creator of all. We are not only physical, but we are spiritual beings. Denying our soul has led to many attempts to fix ourselves which only harm. Drug use is epidemic again. Sexual deviations are espoused by more and more. Gender dysphoria is running rampant through our population. Suicides continue to climb. Families are repeatedly broken by cultural norms that have made life worse at every point. We are not improving our lives in our quest to deny God.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have I found the true source of life and fulfillment?
  2. Or am I still trying to fill an empty hole inside me with things that can never replace my need for God?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for saving me so many years ago when I was lost and searching. I was a stupid college student without hope or purpose, looking for friends, experiences, and meaning. You completely changed my entire direction of life. There have been hard times and good times, and while I would not want to go through the hard times again, I know that everything has been good for me. Watch over me in my ministry these days. Lead me and guide me in your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment