Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, June 13, 2024

QT 6/13/2024 2 Tim 4:16-18, Standing up for truth

2 Timothy 4:16–18 (ESV) — 16 At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them! 17 But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

 

NOTE: I'm not surprised that everyone deserted Paul. The re-arrest sounds very harsh since it was so abrupt that he could not even gather his parchments, or grab a coat. It would seem Nero's crusade has elevated from a notice of arrest to smash and grab -- what we call Gestapo tactics today. So the fear of Paul's supporters is understandable. But God was gracious, Paul's defense allowed him to share the gospel message and still avoid being thrown to the lions at the colosseum. Even though the situation was bad, Paul saw every good thing from God. He believed that God cared. The outcome was the Lord's and he would believe that until his last breath was drawn.

 

We are already approaching a moment in history where the crowd is out for blood. They are many who are angry and want to attack Christians, not understanding the true message of the gospel. We do list things as sin, such as homosexuality, adultery, sex outside marriage, as we call sin to anger, gossip, and cursing. We hate sin, but struggle with it ourselves. But we are called to love people who do not know the truth. We do judge those who call themselves believers but openly sin against God's word. We are not out to attack homosexuals, despite the media's attempt to paint that picture. But those who oppose us with their new morals ('there is no sin') don't want to hear the truth, they are the ones who want someone to hate. And so like Paul's friends, we are sometimes shy to share what we believe anymore.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I have the courage to stand with those who are mistreated for their faith?
  2. Can I love those who hate me, knowing that they are blinded by hatred and sin?

 

PRAYER: Father, this world continues to spiral out of control. People have changed the who meaning of words. Help me to stand for truth and not be ashamed for I know who I have believed and I know he is able to save me against the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment