Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, June 18, 2024

QT 6/18/2024 Titus 1:5-9, An elder is a unique individual

Titus 1:5–9 (ESV) — 5 This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you— 6 if anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination. 7 For an overseer, as God’s steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, 8 but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. 9 He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

 

NOTE: There is too much to review or discuss in this passage. The topics include Paul's reasons for leaving Titus at Crete; when did Paul and visit Crete; what does a husband of one wife mean (outside the obvious restriction of bigamy); and each of the various negative (5) and positive (6) qualifications for an overseer (also called elder). I would like to highlight for my memory this phrase "… must not be arrogant or quick-tempered … or violent, but hospitable, … self-controlled …." In the years that I have served as an elder in three churches, I have always been amazed that 12 (the usual number in the churches I served) men could be so unified in so many areas. In the world of work outside the church, 12 persons would always have someone (if not more) who is opposed to an idea, and who does not want to move off of their position. These people feel they are right and you are wrong. They believe they think better. They fight to get their way. I never saw that inside of a church with the elders. I did see it among the congregation quite often. But elders were always different. The chairman of the elders was not the senior pastor, although the senior pastor was an elder too, and almost every decision was unanimous. Elders should not be the popularity selection of the body, they should be men who are examined deeply and approved by other elders first before assuming the role.

 

PONDER:

  1. What type of person am I when it comes to church decisions?
  2. Do I always have a reason why something cannot be done? Do I think I am always right? Do I get angry at church decisions? If the answer is yes to any of the three, then that is a good sign the person is not ready to be an elder

 

PRAYER: Father, give me grace in my conversations with people. I want to be supportive and encouraging. Help me to address issues of false teaching in a loving and kind manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment